BEFORE YOUR OPERATION
Please attend for your vasectomy on 16/10/2008 1115
Please note that you will need to come to the back door of the building through the car park as the main doors will be locked
1. Please shave the hair from the scrotum with a safety razor but it is not necessary to have a complete shave of the pubic area
2. Please wear tight underpants, which give support to the scrotum.
3. When you attend for the operation, please bring someone with you who are able to take you home. For legal reasons you must not drive yourself.
4. Please bring something interesting to read whilst the vasectomy is being carried out.
5. Be prepared to rest for 48 hours after the operation and if you have a very heavy job please arrange for some days off work if at all possible.
AFTER YOUR OPERATION
1. Please take it easy for at least 3 days avoiding heavy lifting and rushing about.
2. You may shower in the evening following your vasectomy but avoid bathing for 3 days.
3. Some pain and bruising is usual. Paracetamol should help but if you are worried in any way please contact us Tel: XXXXXXX. Urgent advice over the weekend: XXXXXXX
4. Please make love when you feel comfortable, for most men this is at least 7 days after vasectomy. It takes about 20 ejaculations to clear active sperm left in your system.
5. Remember to use other contraception until you have had two negative sperm counts and a letter stating that you are sterile.
The chances of failure of vasectomy are very small (less than 1 in 2000 vasectomies), but even after being confirmed sterile there is stiii a remote chance of the tubes healing together. We emphasis that pregnancy occurring after vasectomy is however a rare event and as a comparison vasectomy is 10 times more reliable than a sterilisation operation for your wife.
HOW TO COLLECT YOUR SPERM SPECIMENS
Two specimens of semen are required: the first at 12 weeks and the second at 16 weeks after the operation. The whole of the ejaculation needs to be collected in the plastic container provided and posted through the letter box beside the door of the pathology building at RD&E Wonford Hospital before 9am. Please do not take specimens on a Saturday or Sunday as the laboratory is closed.
After your second negative sperm count has been received we will write to you within 10 days and confirm that you are sterile. Please remember we cannot under any circumstances give results out over the telephone and we appreciate your cooperation in this matter.